Monday, 6 December 2010

Garden beds finished!

Our native garden beds in the back yard are done! The process wasn't too painful except for the extreme amount of rain we had beforehand - ground was a bit waterlogged.


Shaping of the garden beds by Mark Ferrington from Australian Natives - he also sourced and delivered all our plants. A flat garden bed would have been easy - but over a 40m lenth - would have been very boring - so we added some rise and fall for interest.





Then, placing all of the plants in the correct spots. From memory we have species of kangaroo paw, dianelle, pennisetum, wattle - all to eventually create a garden bed that will move in waves with the wind.




Hubby and I then spent a few hours after work each day planting (tricky when it was super wet and muddy!). A two handled post hole shovel was our best friend.



The last step was mulch. I sourced my mulch through a great website called Mulch Net - essentially they link tree loppers and gardeners. The load was 15m3 for $240 + $55 delivery fee = $295 all up.


That was a lot cheaper than buying mulch through a landscape company - $20/m3 vs $56/m3 for eucalyptus mulch from Tutle Landscapes.


Mulch went down 10cm thick and we'll have enough to re-mulch the front garden and some side areas that haven't been landscaped yet.



Now we just need to water in the garden and give it regular feedings of Seasol, Powerfeed and diluted molasses to get it established.

Now only one section of mud/dirt left in the yard - yay!

7 comments:

  1. Congrats Amanda! It all looks great. BTW your grass looks like carpet - just beautiful!!!

    You've put a LOT of thought, research & physical effort into your garden. Looking forward to more pics down the line once all is established.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks southies! I don't know what I'm doing right with the lawn because I'm only mowing it (well hubby is!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amanda, your yard looks great .. need to visit your place and see the new addition to your void too.. Can I book you for your expertise in some time in April and May when we move in (hopefully)

    All the hard work has paid off for you with your home..

    ReplyDelete
  4. That yard is looking great Amanda. Love the lawn too. Lots of mowing. :) but worth it. Just imagine how it will look in 12 months, 2, 3 years with everything growing and getting fully established.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Marlon - I'm not sure what expertise I can offer but I'm happy to help!
    kexkez - luckily mowing is hubby's job :) But it's Empire Zoysia - so even in summer we're only mowing every 3rd week (thank goodness!)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely yard! Hi Amanda. I work for a social media that primarily aims to change housing and real estate in AU for the better. More to that, we intend to be an ‘online home for your home’. In fact, we are about to release an online renovation tool (This may be useful to help do future reno projects!), would you be interested in using something like this? You can visit our website @ http://www.housenet.com.au/

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Amanda,
    Here’s a funny video we created about the pitfalls of renovation (http://youtu.be/rMK7z_VvnIc). It’s a parody of reality renovation TV shows called Do Birds Renovate? It’s already going viral, and I think your community/audience would enjoy it. We’d love if you could share – thanks!

    ReplyDelete