A few years ago at the Sydney Home Show we saw some beautiful teak furniture from Oishi Furniture in Mosman. At the time he said that a 12 seater dining table for our new home wouldn't be a problem. The furniture is beautifully made and I love the look of raw teak.
We went to visit the showroom in Mosman today - still love the furniture - but the biggest solid table size is 2.5m - only a 10 seater. Bugger! I think we'll get a TV unit from them later on down the road but unfortunately no dining setting.
As a guide - you should have about 50cm per seat at the table - so for a 12 seater = 5 people down each side (+ 1 at each end) means we need a 3m long table.
Someone on the Homeone forum recommended Goldenwood Furniture in Wetherill Park. We went there for a visit and they were building furniture in today's 40C heat! It seems everything is built on site and we saw a great table design that we like (shown below).

The table in the pic is only 1.8m, we would order 3m - it has a nice chunky leg style (12cm square solid legs) but simple clean modern lines. The picture shows the table in Black Wood - but I think we'll go for Tasmanian Oak and then stain. The Black Wood has a lot of colour variation which does look beautiful but I'm not 100% sold on it.
The plan is to have nice simple leather upholstered chairs like these (though I'm not sure on the colour yet):
Hubby did have his heart set on teak - but we're sort of leaning towards the Tassie Oak table stained to look similar. We haven't been able to find a company that makes a 12 seater dining table in teak. The Tassie Oak I've been told is more hard wearing, the Teak is meant to be quite soft and marks quite easily.

Hi Amanda, your house looks fantastic. The tiling is really coming along, you are getting so close now and it's very exciting if you are at the stage you can do real shopping. I can't believe the tilers just make their mud upstairs - that is very funny. Love the dining table, it's so chunky. I'll have to go and check out that shop. Do you guys have kids? My sister in law got similar chairs and in the end she was a little disappointed as they got marks all over them by the kids so now she has to lay towels over them (after they got cleaned) and then that takes away from the look. Just thought I'd let you know in case you were worried about marks! But the table will look so lovely. My close girlfriend has a large table that is the focus of downstairs and it is a great affect. Good luck on finishing very soon!!!
ReplyDeleteHey Sarah! Thanks for commenting :)
ReplyDeleteNo kids for us (hopefully very soon - we've been trying for a very long time) - the chairs in the pic are microsuede but we'd be getting them in leather - nice and easy to clean!