Wednesday, 17 March 2010

The start of our new life

We officially moved into our new home yesterday :)

Hubby's parents very kindly supervised the movers at our rental place while I headed over the house to open up for tradies to install our appliances. The first thing I saw when I came into the estate was fog restricting visibility to only 10m - it was eery seeing frames and houses pop out of the fog.

Looking across the street towards the golf coures (in there somewhere!)


Our new house!


The moving day was hectic - tradesmen everywhere, movers, my in-laws. I also organised for a few people to come and do quotes for some things (fences etc) and by 4pm I was dead on my feet. I only managed to unpack 2 boxes!

It's always interesting falling asleep in a new place - different sights and sounds. Though I was so tired hubby tells me I was knocked out really quickly.

This morning sunrise brought this view from our bedroom - absolutely gorgeous!

Once the sun really came out, the fog rolled over in earnest and we were again blanketed in a magic cloud!
I have to give a big shout out to our removalists - Michael from Nationwide Removals. They're not the cheapest ($165 per hour for 3 men) but we've moved 3 times with them and we've never had any damage to our goods or the walls/floors of the houses/apartments. Even with tricky narrow staircases (our old apartment), storage of goods, etc - they've always been great. They packed the truck at our rental, travelled to our new place and then unloaded in 6 hours - an amazing job.
My moving tip - get proper moving boxes - the removalists work a lot more quickly with standard sizes - I got all mine & butchers paper from Homewrap in Wetherill Park - reasonably priced (you could re-sell on ebay) and they sell to the public. We used 2 sizes - Tea Chest and Book Wine - I ended up using about 35 of each size.
Now to unpack!

7 comments:

  1. What a great post! This makes me so excited to get the build started and move in and experience mornings just like the one you had today. So happy to hear you are in and starting to get settled. Now next time we come by we can actually meet face to face!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Megan - once the construction starts - it will fly by!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Finally, congratulations.

    The big question is, will you do it again?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Big congratulations! What a relief it must be to be in after all these years! Looking forward to stopping by and meeting you guys.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The Blake - we've already got our eye on another piece of land! But not for a few years at least ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. View looks brilliant - enjoy every moment of it! Like everyone else building a house. we're enjoying the construction process but can't wait to be in living properly!

    T&T

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congrats, Amanda!! Your house looks great. Great colors and million dollar view!!

    ReplyDelete