Sunday, 28 February 2010

Finding the perfect lounge

Hubby and I spent an afternoon checking out lounges

Our current setting is an 8 year old set purchased from Harvey Norman when we purchased our first apartment and I'm thoroughly sick of it!

We visited King Furniture and Plush Sofas this afternoon and boy was it an eye opening experience!

I love the modular nature of King Furniture in general - giving you options to change the layout for a movie night, a big party or regular TV viewing. The only downfall - it's not cheap! However, it does come with a 15 year guarantee which is impressive.

The one we like most is the Jasper as seen below. You can have arm rests or the shelves. The shelves look nifty for resting a cup of tea.

I also tried the dining chairs at King Furniture - heavenly! The lumbar support was perfect and I haven't felt it in any other dining chair I've sat in. Though in leather at $1000 each, they are a bit rich for our blood! As a comparison - the other nice leather chairs we've looked at (that aren't PU or bicast) are about $300-400 each.

I didn't like anything at Plush Sofas - especially after sitting on the King lounges! The cushions felt really unforgiving in comparison. Though they are significantly cheaper - about one third to half the price for a similar size lounge at King.

The other places I think we'll have to look at are
  • Domayne
  • Harvey Norman
  • Natuzzi

Does anyone have any other suggestions of places that sell modular lounges? Though nothing cheap like Fantastic Furniture!

5 comments:

  1. Funnily enough, we also went window shopping at furniture stores yesterday (in Melbourne though). There's a chain here called Bay Leather Republic which has some nice items. Suite Deals also has ex display home furniture and new things. Not sure either are in NSW though.

    True enough about King's prices, we saw a lounge suite for $15,000 there! Think I'd rather take a year off the mortgage and save $20,000 in interest for that kind of money!

    T&T

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey T&T - thanks for the tip on Bay Leather - I did a search and they have a store in Sydney so we'll check it out.

    The lounge you saw must have been the True Touch leather - OMG - the softest most luxurious leather I've ever felt! But you're right - definitely not worth $15k - luckily the one we looked at was less than half that - but still pricey. Lots of weighing up pros & cons!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Amanda, check out Moran at David Jones or Myer at the half yearly or end of year sale, they often have discounts to 40%. Only buy when it is on sale. They do have modular on the Moran website but I have never seen it shown at Myer or David Jones.

    King Furniture is very nice, I personally like the Kato. The Jasper in Material Fabric is also worth considering.

    We haven't check out Demir leather yet, we have had bad customer service once many years ago and never walked into the shop again, but we may check it out once our house is done.

    MadCow (Anthony) from the forum

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks MadCow! I did have a quick squiz at Moran at Myer today when I was walking through - will have to go take my lunch there one day and test them out properly :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Moran's quality is pretty good and quite comfortable. I am not a big fan of Natuzzi though. Good Luck with the sofa choice.

    ReplyDelete